Thursday, July 31, 2008

New Medication

New medication. Yippee! I started off taking the albuterol sulfate every six hours last Friday. I guess it was working a little at first but then it stopped. They had me start taking it every four hours Sunday night to see if that would work. After a couple days of that my contractions and irritability weren't getting any better. My doctor made the decision to put me on another medication. A nurse came out today and put me on what is called a terbutaline pump. The pump is typically prescribed for women to use at home. The pump requires me to stick myself in the leg with a needle every three to five days. I must change the terbutaline cartridges every 12 to 24 hours and carry around the pump. The pump makes it easier for the pregnant woman to maintain an around-the-clock schedule of terbutaline doses. It provides a continuous low dose of terbutaline along with larger doses (called boluses) at regular intervals. The pump also can fine-tune doses to a greater degree than pills. So far I am doing okay with the medication. I am a little jittery but I don't mind as long as it works. We will be able to tell tonight if the medication is doing its job correctly. My next appointment is Saturday morning so we shall see what my doctor thinks of my hopeful progress. I am almost certain that she will be giving me some strict restrictions for my bed rest.

Please pray that this medication will work and help my uterus to calm down. Also that it won't make me too jittery and that the babies will be okay.

Dustin and I would like to thank our Sunday school class for their help with twice a week dinners (and my sisters too). It really has helped the both of us out a lot. Especially since it is hard for me to stand up for any length of time. We are truly blessed to have such caring and servant hearted friends. Thanks to you all!

4 comments:

Mom said...

Another step to these miracles He is bringing about in your and Dustin's life. We know from Whom you have drawn the great strength and courage you have displayed. What love surrounds you with family and your Sunday school class . . . . . we are all priveleged for the opportunity to minister to you and Dustin.
Always our love,
Grandma and PaPa

Anonymous said...

We're praying this new medication keeps your babies safe and doesn't cause you to be too jittery!

I am a great believer in relaxation techniques...slow, deliberate breathing, soothing music, positive environment. Each night as I prepare for sleep, I turn on my IPOD (which sits in an ihome in our bedroom) and fall asleep to beautiful instrumental melodies. When I am feeling stressed or have a headache, I turn on the music, pretend I am floating on a cloud, listen to the rise and fall of ocean waves...whatever soothes you.

Love to you and Dustin, Barbara (& Leigh too!)

mycraftsamber said...

Hang in there. Your attitude is very inspirational! Prayers and HUGS!

Serratt Baby Blog said...

Sweetie,
HE will supply ALL your needs . . . because HE is All you need!

All our love,
Grandma and PaPa